Snow-covered mountains and two-lane roadway

Filming on State Highways

Obtaining a Special Use Permit to film on New York State highways
Learn about Obtaining Highway Film Permits

The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) issues special use permits (PERM 33f) for all filming on state highways, rights of way, and at NYSDOT facilities. Please read through the resources on this site to learn more about how to obtain a permit to film on state roads or at NYSDOT-owned locations.

If filming does not impact state highway traffic or NYSDOT facilities, a NYSDOT permit is unnecessary. However, other state agencies and municipalities in which the filming takes place may require permits. 

Filmed on NYSDOT's Highways

Highway Chase Scene

This highway chase scene from the move Salt was filmed on state highways in the Albany area.